How To Practice The “Down” Command With Remote Collar
- The command is simply “Down”, not “Lay down” or any other variation.
- The dog must stay in the down position until released. You do not need to say “Stay”.
- Release your dog from the position by saying “Break”.
- Once your go is completely down, praise and reward.
- Give the command only one time, if your dog does not immediately respond, press and hold the button until they comply.
- All praise and rewards should be given while your dog is in the down position.
- Keep an eye on your dog’s elbows, they will typically be the first things to lift if your dog begins to stand up.
- If your dog stands up before given permission, say “No” while pressing and holding the button still he lays back down. He must lay back down in the original spot.
- If he has moved from the original spot, either physically bring him back, or use the “Come” command to get him back to the original spot.
- If you are using the “Down” Command to manage your dog’s behavior during an exciting event, have him stay until he is completely relaxed before releasing him. This will teach him that calmness is the key to freedom.