How To Practice The “Place” Command With the Remote Collar
- “Place” means “Go to the object and stay”.
- You may have as many different “places” as you want.
- Your dog must stay until you give the release cue “Break”.
- Both you and your dog should be within 3-5 feet from the “place” before you give the command.
- If your dog is further away, use the “Come” command to bring them close, then command “Place”.
- If your dog does not comply after the first command, press and hold the button until they begin compliance.
- If your dog leaves the “place” before you give permission (break), say no while pressing and holding the button until the dog begins to return.
- If at any point your dog seems confused or unsure, use guiding body language such as pointing, or moving toward the “place”.
- All praise and reward should be given while your dog is on the “place”. We want them to like being there because good things happen to them in that spot.
- Wait at least two seconds after praising your dog before releasing them.
- If you are using the “Place” command to control your dog around exciting events, make sure that you do not release him until he is totally relaxed. This will teach him that calmness is the key to freedom.